Camp Blount: A Brief History



September of 1813 found the United States embroiled in a desperate war with Great Britain.  In the midst of the war, a civil war erupted between factions of the Creek Indian Nation.

 

On August 30, 1813 Red Stick Creeks attacked friendly Creeks and American militia at Fort Mims in Alabama.  This attack resulted in the massacre of the soldiers and families within the fort.  President Madison called upon the Tennessee militia and volunteers to quell the Red Stick threat.
 
Beginning in late September through early October 1813, thousands of Tennessee soldiers under the command of General Andrew Jackson assembled at Camp Blount in Fayetteville, Lincoln County, Tennessee.
 
Among those assembled with Jackson at Camp Blount were future governor William Carroll;  Jackson’s most trusted subordinate, General John Coffee;  and noted frontiersman David Crockett.  Also volunteering to serve with Jackson was Fayetteville’s own, Dr. McKinney.
 

The muster at Camp Blount was the beginning of a campaign which culminated in the destruction of the Red Stick forces at Horseshoe Bend on March 27, 1814.


The Museum's Camp Blount exhibit highlights the important role the site has to our community. The Museum board joins the local government and citizens of Fayetteville-Lincoln County is supporting the efforts of the Camp Blount Historic Site Association's efforts to commemorate its history, preserve the site and its stories for the future, and educate our students. Fundraising is underway for the development of a visitor park with pavilions, cultural/education center, and bronze statue. Visit www.campblount.com to learn more about the Association, its events, future plans, and ways you can contribute.